Skip to main content

Thursday, March 7: Countdown to Departure

The Fulbright-Nehru International Education Administrators Seminar invites about a dozen academics from the United States to tour India for two weeks. By meeting with representatives from 15 universities across 4 cities, we will learn about the higher education system in India and identify potential student exchanges and research collaborations.

When I heard about the IEA Seminars, I was attracted to the possibility to learn more about how to internationalize my home campus. One of the initiatives I led at MGH Institute of Health Professions was to formalize our travel study programs. As policies and procedures came into place, more faculty members embraced the possibility to lead student groups abroad.

Traveling to another country to gain more nuanced understanding of how international collaborations form was the next step for my professional growth. Fulbright offers IEA Seminars to seven countries. India stood out to me as the most promising for creating partnerships. For one, English is the language of instruction there. Also, India has a longstanding tradition of holistic healing, which fits with the health professions offered at the IHP.

Unlike the standard Fulbright award for research, which can last up to a year, the IEA Seminars are designed for academic administrators, who can't take too much time away from their offices. I appreciated the difference when I shared my itinerary with a faculty colleague, who had received a yearlong Fulbright to India a few years ago. She had warned me that the Indian commission that coordinates the award often accommodates grantees in shoddy hotels upon arrival. But, when she saw the slate of five-star hotels they have planned for our group, she told me how lucky I was.

It's never easy to take a two-week hiatus from work, especially this semester when I'm serving as Acting Provost. Still, I've been able to arrange my schedule to minimize disrupting the Institute's work flow. I also expect to have regular Internet access to monitor any unforeseen incidents.

The first leg of the trip takes me from Boston to Newark and from there overnight to Mumbai. Of course, it will be nighttime Saturday by the time I land. Several other Seminar participants will be on the second flight, and I've made plans to meet two of them for dinner in the airport before we board. Skirmishes between India and Pakistan over Kashmir have delayed air traffic the past week, though tensions seem to have returned to their normal simmer.

I'm looking forward to seeing a country I've read about and even taught about when I was a professor of anthropology. I want to broaden my perspective on higher education beyond the few institutions I'm most familiar with. Ideally, I will identify a relationship with an Indian university that will advance our mutual missions.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saturday, March 16: Downtime

The first two items on today's itinerary were breakfast and lunch. Last night, seeing the sparse schedule, colleagues hatched plans to visit Hindu temples and jewelry markets in the morning, but, as our flight's departure time receded, so did the ambitious plans. I woke up around 7:45 am and opened the curtains to reveal a view of Hyderabad, population 9 million. I fought the inclination to unpack my clothes and headed for the hotel gym and then ate breakfast. View of the city from the hotel room Taking advantage of the free time and the already warming day, I strolled around the hotel grounds. I found a shady chair and read the local newspaper. Back in my room, I turned the bathroom sink into a makeshift washing machine and freshened up some of my clothes. We will be here until Thursday, leaving sufficient time for drying. By the time I had unpacked, wrung out the clothes, and checked messages, it was time for lunch. As usual, the hotel offers an abundant buffet of delici...

Tuesday, March 12: Last Day in Mumbai

Today's schedule resembled yesterday's but with two different institutions. In the morning, we visited Tata Institute of Social Sciences. Right away, the campus felt familiar to what we recognize as a university. We walked onto a shady campus with a fruit-tree-lined pathway. Parents sat on benches with their children, waiting for their admissions interviews. Because we arrived early, our guide comandeered three students walking by into giving us a tour. Master's students (and a stray dog) give us a tour of TISS. TISS, as it's called, is a "deemed" university, meaning it has government funding for faculty salaries but is being encouraged to generate more of its own revenue. Their focus is on social work, psychology, and urban development. One student we talked to, for instance, was writing her thesis on the effects of residential squatters in urban areas. Several of the faculty members there had traveled to the U.S. on Fulbrights and came to greet u...

Thursday, March 14: Liberal Arts in India

The point of the Seminar is not necessarily to identify a specific partner for an institutional exchange. Still, we can't help but pick favorites. The two campuses we visited today both stood out as particularly congenial places for students from the United States to study. That they are located in Pune, a city I had never heard of before this trip, speaks to my provincialism. If top-notch colleges can be located in remote corners of the United States, then why wouldn't I find impressive Indian campuses in Pune? The FLAME campus has a unified, modern aesthetic. The universities' improbable names contributed to my surprise at their quality. FLAME University is an acronym for Foundation for Liberal Arts and Management Education. Both FLAME and Symbiosis International, which we visited in the afternoon, are examples of private institutions  funded by philanthropic founders. In the case of FLAME, a Jain family made wealthy from the financial industry gave the money to sta...